Boasting unspoiled landscapes, magnificent wildlife, and one of the most beautiful and enchanting coastlines in the world, Alaska is a “must-do” on many cruisers’ lists. Beyond its fortress-like glacier walls lie picturesque towns, prized national parks and a wealth of wildlife, from moose and bears to bald eagles and humpback whales. A cruise to Alaska is the adventure you have always dreamed of, and our Cruising Specialists are ready to help you find the perfect itinerary to match your dreams.
2017 Alaska Cruise & Tour Packages from Holland America:
Plus More Alaska Cruises On Sale:
- Currency – the U.S Dollar
- Population – the population of Alaska is approximately 735,132 people – with the majority of the populous living in the area of Anchorage
- Language – English is widely spoken in Alaska, but some native languages are still spoken, including Eskimo-Aleut and Na-Dene
- Time Zone – Alaska’s time zone is standard time (UTC-09:00), but during daylight savings, the time is offset by 8 hours (UTC-08:00).
Who goes there?
Best time to go?
The best time, overall, to cruise Alaska is between the months of May and September, but the best time to go really depends on what you want to do. If you are budget-conscious, then you may want to consider going in May or September – these are shoulder months, and the cruise fares are often lower, and the cruises less crowded. June and July are the warmest months and have the longest days, so a cruise during these months offers great opportunities to see calving glaciers. Plus, the further into summer you go, the better your chances of seeing wildlife.
- Ketchikan – this is the gateway port to scenic tours of the Tongass National Forest and Misty Fjords, and is great for fishing trips
- Juneau – Alaska’s capital offers the amazing opportunity to go kayaking, canoeing and hiking close to Mendenhall Glacier
- White Pass and Yukon Railroad – in Skagway you can follow the photogenic route that the 19th century gold-seekers too on foot to head over the pass to the Canadian border
- Scenic cruising – this is a highlight of any itinerary in Alaska, from the Inside Passage and Tracy Arm, to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier – scenic cruising offers an amazing opportunity to view glaciers calving, spot aquatic life and birds, and take in gorgeous scenery.