Where The River Meets The Sea
Enjoy the best of both worlds with a tour that seamlessly explores the Rhine River and Nordic seas. The Rhine & Viking Shores & Fjords tour by Viking Cruises combines a river tour from Switzerland to The Netherlands with a trip over the North Sea to Denmark and Norway.
On this 15-day cruise, you’ll explore the culturally rich ports along the Rhineland and brave the stunning North Sea. This voyage was originally taken by the most daring Vikings, but don’t worry – you’ll be sailing in much more comfort than they did!
You’ll be stopping at six countries along the way to explore their wonders and gently pass by their beautiful landscapes. These are the countries you’ll visit on the tour:
Switzerland - Renowned for its impressive mountain ranges, Switzerland’s picturesque horizon reaches towards the skies, making it an unforgettable sight.
Germany – With medieval castles and ancient ruins sprawled across it, it’s easy to witness the long and significant history of Germany, and the river cruise will take you right through it.
France – The heavily romanticised cities and towns of France live up to the stories told about them. Have a coffee near the port in Strasbourg and let the vibrant city invite you into its arms.
The Netherlands - With the famous windmills in Kinderdijk and the intricate beauty of Amsterdam, where ingenuity collaborates with art, The Netherlands is uniquely and aesthetically delightful.
Denmark - Denmark runs deep with history, but it also holds many modern attractions. From the Tivoli to Legoland, to its contemporary art scene, the best of both worlds merge together.
Norway – Along its edges, Norway has many charming fishing villages that welcome you from the Nordic seas and guide you into its legendary fjords. Full of Viking history and stunning scenes, Norway is somehow both humble and bold.
With their ports being the historical life-blood of these countries, you’ll experience the richest destinations during your river cruise. These are some of the experiences:
- Begin your journey at the true gateway of the Swiss Rhineland at the port in Basel, Switzerland. This port is the meeting point of the French, German and Swiss borders.
- Witness the timeless majesty of the windmills at Kinderdijk, The Netherlands. Nearly 300 years old, these windmills have stood tall and acted as water management systems in the stunning wetlands surrounding them.
- Enter Germany’s indestructible Marksburg Castle, which has proudly stood at the side of the river for 900 years. Cruise in comfort over The North Sea in the award-winning Viking Sun ship. Watch the mountains shrink in the distance and enjoy the comfort of the ship and its onboard entertainment.
- Be embraced by the towering cliffs along Lysefjord, near Stavanger. At a height of 740 metres above sea level, you will understand the enormity of the gods in Norse mythology.
- Walk along Bryggen Wharf in Bergen, Norway and become entranced by the charm of the old fishing village. With the iconic row of Hanseatic commercial buildings on its face, the quaint village will leave a long-lasting and warm impression.
If you’d like to learn more about the Rhine & Viking Shores & Fjords tour, contact us on 1300 769 228. We can provide you with more information on the ships, itineraries, prices, dates, and destinations. The Viking shores are calling!
Set sail with Cruiseeabout
Feature image of Bergen, Norway courtesy of Getty.