Interesting Facts about Holland America Line
Posted August 13th, 2012
Interesting facts you may not have known about Holland America Line.
- Holland America Line's ms Oosterdam's weekly food consumption includes approximately 5,205 litres of milk, 23,000 eggs and 26,705 kilos of fresh product.
- Holland America Line spends an average of US$4 million dollars on artwork per ship.
- The oldest piece is a 2,000 year old Han Chinese figure on the ms Rotterdam.
- On the new ship Nieuw Amsterdam, launched July 2010, it took seven months to design and create the atrium sculpture and 35 plus artists are represented.
- In addition, all 15 ships offer an iPod art tour with at least 26 stops to listen.
- Holland America Line receives approximately 2 palettes of flowers on board each ship each week.
- Dianthus is a floral provider based out of the Netherlands that supplies fresh flowers to all of the ships worldwide.
- They also train Holland America Line's florists, with a full-scale training program in Jakarta. Each florist goes through a 2 month training process with Dutch floral designers, to learn all of the basic knowledge about being a florist.
- Holland America Line's ms Rotterdam is the 6th ship to bear that name, and is named after the birthplace of the cruise line.
- All of Holland America Line's ships feature low-flow toilets and showers, eco-friendly cleaning supplies, energy-conserving towel re-use options and extensive recycling
- ms Zaandam was recently outfitted with a new emissions-reducing system that uses seawater to remove, or scrub, sulfur oxides, as well as significantly reduce particulate matter.
Do you have an interesting facts to share about any other cruise lines?