Get to Know Silversea
As one of the world’s top luxury cruise brands, Silversea is synonymous with class, elegance and quality. Passengers on board Silversea’s ships can expect nothing but top-of-the-range service, dining and accommodation, plus an array of fascinating shore excursions in exciting and exotic destinations. Here, the Cruiseabout team takes a closer look at this stylish cruise line.
Did you know?
· Silversea was founded in 1994 by Antonio Lefebvre, an Italian maritime law professor.
· Still owned and operated by the Lefebvre family, Silversea is one of the last privately owned cruise companies.
· The cruise line transports passengers to more than 800 destinations around the world and provides itineraries to all seven continents.
· Silversea’s headquarters are based in Monaco.
· The cruise line entered the expedition cruising industry with the introduction of the Silver Explorer in 2008.
· Passengers can sail with Silversea on expedition voyages to the islands of Oceania, Australia’s Kimberley Coast, the Galapagos Islands, the western coast of Africa, the Russian Far East, and Central and South America.
· On Silversea expeditions, guests can enjoy detailed scientific and historical information from Royal Geographic Society experts.
· Silversea also offers a variety of specialty expedition trips, including bird-watching, scuba-diving, photography, wellness and culinary voyages.
· The cruise line’s loyalty program, the Venetian Society, can be joined by any cruiser on completion of their first Silversea voyage. Membership benefits include access to private parties and savings on future sailings. The more days you sail, the more savings you can enjoy.
· Silversea has received many accolades, including Global Traveler’s ‘Best luxury cruise line 2016’, Guardian and Observer Travel Award’s ‘Best cruise line’ in 2013, and Conde Nast Traveller’s ‘Best small ship cruise line’ award for 12 years, between 1999 and 2014.
· For foodies and vino lovers, Silversea has a selection of wine and food voyages! On these special trips, guests can enjoy activities such as cooking demonstrations, tastings, lectures, cooking competitions, market tours and knife skills workshops.
· The Silversea’s fleet consists of 10 luxury vessels.
· The Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer, Silversea Explorer and Silver Cloud Expedition are designed to provide expedition voyages.
· In November 2017, the newly refurbished Silver Cloud Expedition will begin voyaging through polar waters on expedition adventures.
· Add together the combined tonnage of all the cruise ships and you’d have just under a whopping 200,000 tonnes of weight!
· The largest ship in the fleet is the Silver Muse, with 596 guests, 411 crew and a weight of 40,700 tonnes.
· At the other end of the scale is the Silver Galapagos, with 100 guests, 75 crew and a weight of 4,077 tonnes.
· When cruising polar waters, the Silver Cloud Expedition will carry a maximum of 200 passengers, meaning it has the highest space-to-guest and guest-to-crew ratios in the expedition cruise category.
Would you like to discover more about Silversea firsthand? Contact our friendly and knowledgeable cruise consultants on 1300 954 661 today to make a booking or to gather more information. We can assist you with everything, from flights and accommodation before your cruise, to transfers and travel insurance.
Images courtesy of Silversea.