Get to Know Holland America Line
With a rich and fascinating history dating back well over 100 years, Holland America Line has an established presence in the cruising world. Combining a classic style of cruising with impeccable service and wondrous destinations, this cruise line remains as popular as ever.
- Holland America Line was founded in 1873 as a shipping and passenger line and was originally known as the Netherlands-America Steamship Company.
- The cruise line’s first ocean liner was the Rotterdam, which first sailed on a 15-day trip from Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, to New York.
- Between the 1880s and the 1920s, Holland America Line transported approximately 850,000 passengers from Europe to America, helping them begin their new lives.
- In 1895, the company offered its first holiday cruise.
- By the time the cruise line reached its 25th anniversary, it had a fleet of six cargo and passenger vessels.
- Come 1971, Holland America Line stopped its trans-Atlantic passenger trade and restricted its offerings to cruise holidays.
- Carnival Corp, the world’s largest cruise company, became the owner of Holland America Line in 1989.
Did you know?
- In 2013, Holland America Line celebrated its 140th anniversary.
- The cruise line has carried over 11 million passengers from Europe to the Americas and holiday destinations around the world since it was founded.
- Holland America Line’s headquarters are now in Seattle, Washington.
- Today, the company offers over 500 cruises to 415 ports in 98 destinations and visits all seven continents.
- Holland America Line has invested more than $500 million in its cruise programs and specialities, including the Culinary Arts Center, vegetarian-only menus, Digital Workshops, Greenhouse Spa, Club HAL® and The Collections of America Line, a collection of carefully selected shore excursions.
- The cruise line is also heavily involved in charitable endeavours and contributes over $1 million annually to different charitable organisations. It also offers hundreds of reduced-fare cruises to support various fundraising initiatives throughout North America.
- Passengers who cruise with Holland America Line automatically become part of the Mariner Society, the cruise line’s rewards program. For each day cruised and for onboard purchases, guests earn credits that help them increase their status. Rewards range from a welcome lunch and special offers on select sailings to priority check-in and complimentary laundry services.
- There are currently 14 ships in the Holland America Line fleet.
- The ms Nieuw Statendam is set to launch in December 2018. The sister ship to the ms Koningsdam, the ms Nieuw Statendam will be the second of the cruise line’s Pinnacle-class ships and was designed with input from guests. Along with bedside USB ports and frameless shower doors, the ship will also offer single staterooms accommodating solo travellers and family ocean-view staterooms that can cater for up to five guests.
- The ms Koningsdam is the fleet’s latest addition and has the biggest passenger capacity, with the ability to transport 2,648 guests.
- With a guest capacity of just 835, the ms Prinsendam is one of the fleet’s smallest ships and travels to destinations that bigger vessels cannot reach.
Are you interested in experiencing what Holland America Line has to offer? Learn more or take the plunge and make a booking today by calling us on 1300 954 661. We can answer all your questions, discuss itineraries with you and take care of any other travel needs, including flights and travel insurance.
Set sail on a dream holiday with Cruiseabout
Images courtesy of Instagram & Getty