Cunard Fun Facts
Cunard is the most famous ocean liner in the world – and for good reason. The epitome of sophistication, Cunard provides sensational White Star Service. Guests can look forward to an exciting selection of onboard entertainment and activities, delicious cuisine and unsurpassable service.
- Cunard was founded in 1838.
- The line was originally formed to carry mail from Britain to North America.
- In the 1970s, many liners went out of business. Cunard was one of the only remaining lines to continue regular transatlantic voyages.
- During this time, Cunard was the only liner to travel between New York and Europe.
- Cunard had the first liner with lights powered by electricity, in 1881.
- In 2009, tickets for the Queen Elizabeth’s upcoming maiden voyage, set to sail in October 2010, sold out in a record 29 minutes.
- Cunard’s ship, the Queen Mary, was sold in 1967 to the city of Long Beach in California, and it is now used as a hotel and conference centre.
- The Cunard fleet consists of 3 luxury ships.
- The Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary II and Queen Victoria offer cruises all over the world, offering short breaks and longer voyages for the ultimate in customised relaxation.
- The Queen Elizabeth is the newest addition to the fleet and was given her name by the Queen in 2010. She is the second largest ship in the Cunard line, weighing 90,901 gross tonnes and able to carry 2,092 passengers.
- The Queen Mary II is Cunard’s flagship. The vessel received stunning restorations to both the interior and exterior in June 2016. She is the largest ship in the Cunard line, with a gross tonnage of 148,528 and able to carry 2,695 passengers. This is the only cruise ship to regularly carry animals, allowing you to bring your furry family member along on your journey.
- The Queen Victoria boasts some of the most modern features you’ll find on board a luxury cruise ship. The smallest ship in the Cunard line, she weighs 90,049 gross tonnes and accommodates 2,014 passengers.
Offering World Voyages, Transatlantic cruises, European cruises and Caribbean cruises, Cunard accommodates every traveller’s dream trip. Whether you choose to set sail for 2 nights or 106 nights, Cunard will provide you with magical memories you’ll never forget.
You can experience Cunard’s world-famous White Star Service for yourself by contacting our helpful cruise consultants on 1300 769 228. Discover more about Cunard’s exciting upcoming cruises and get in touch today.