Exmouth is a charming small town located on the tip of the North West Cape in Western Australia, a place where emus still wander through the main streets and parks.
Surrounded by the pristine Ningaloo Reef and the stunning Cape Range National Park, this laid-back town is a premier tourist attraction that promises blue skies and warm weather all year round.
Whether it’s snorkelling in the warm waters of Turquoise Bay, spotting enigmatic whale sharks in Ningaloo Reef, or working up a sweat hiking through the ancient Cape Range National Park, Exmouth has plenty to do for the cruise ship day tripper.
Cruise ships anchor just off the coast of Exmouth and tender passengers to a marina just by the Novotel Ningaloo Resort. Passengers can then board a shuttle bus to the town centre, which is located about 3 kilometres away. Alternatively, walking is also an option for those who are fit and able.
As there is no real port in Exmouth, cruise passengers will be tendered ashore to the Novotel Ningaloo Resort. This modern 4.5 star resort has everything you need to make your arrival in Exmouth as comfortable as possible.
- Public toilets
- Restaurant and bar
- Internet access
- Convenience store
- Tour desk
- Shuttle bus service to town centre.
How to get around
Exmouth is a small town that can be explored on foot. In the town centre there are a handful of shops and restaurants, as well as an IGA supermarket.
Note that there is no public transport and taxis are limited. However, there are a number of car hire providers in the area (including Hertz, Avis and Budget). It’s best to pre-arrange any car hire you may need before your arrival in Exmouth.
Travel times from the town centre:
- It is a 20 minute journey to the Jurabi Turtle Centre
- It is a 1 hour journey to the Cape Range National Park
- It is a 1 hour and 15 minute journey to Turquoise Bay via Yardie Creek Road.
- Currency - The local currency in Exmouth is the Australian dollar. Coins come in 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 denominations, while notes come in $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 denominations.
- Time Zone - Exmouth is on Australian Western Standard Time (AWST). It is 8 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- Weather - Exmouth enjoys a warm, semi-arid climate all year round. With no wet season, the region sees little rainfall, and in summer (December to February) daytime temperatures range from 35 to 40 degrees Celsius. During winter (June to August), the average daily temperature hovers around 25 degrees Celsius.
- Jurabi Turtle Centre - Get up close and personal with marine turtles and learn all about their biology and behaviour at the Jurabi Turtle Centre. Built in recognition of the need to minimise the impact of human behaviour on the nesting grounds of these majestic creatures along the Ningaloo coast, the centre plays an important role in keeping the turtle population in this part of Australia in good numbers. Make sure you pay a visit to the centre at night to view nesting turtles and hatchlings. The Jurabi Turtle Centre is open 7 days a week, and is free to get in.
- Cape Range National Park - Spend an afternoon hiking through the Cape Range National Park located in the Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Area – just a stone’s throw away from Exmouth. The park features stunning rocky gorges, sheer cliffs, and deep canyons. Take a guided boat tour along Yardie Creek and view all kinds of wildlife in their natural habitat. But make sure you pay a visit to the Milyering Visitor Centre in the north of the park first for up-to-date information, and to learn more about the park.
- Turquoise Bay - The perfect place to snorkel and swim with all kinds of tropical fish, colourful coral, and other marine life, Turquoise Bay is a beautiful beach located only an hour away from Exmouth. Blessed with some of the whitest sand you’ll ever see, and warm turquoise water, the beach is relatively quiet most of the year and is the ideal place to spend a relaxing afternoon. Ningaloo Reef is located just off the shore, making this reef one of the most accessible in the country. Turquoise Bay is an hour west of Exmouth.