Get To Know Scenic
For over 30 years, this Australian-owned travel company has been committed to providing guests with unparalleled customer service and exciting itineraries. Moving from strength to strength, Scenic boasts a fleet of ‘Space-Ships’ that offer out-of-this-world cruising experiences. Below, we’ve put together a profile of this exceptional cruise line.
- Scenic was founded in Newcastle in 1986 by Glen Moroney.
- The company originally offered coach tours throughout Australia.
- In the early 1990s, these tours extended to include New Zealand and, by 2000, tours to Norfolk Island, Southern Africa, Canada and Alaska were being offered.
- Throughout the 2000s, further destinations and itineraries were added. Scenic was soon offering trips to destinations in Europe, Russia, Asia, and South and Central America.
- In 2008, Scenic forayed into the world of cruises and ship-building as the company’s Scenic Space-Ships set sail on European waterways.
- Over the years, the Scenic fleet has grown. In 2016, there were 20 Scenic ships exploring European rivers, including the Main, Rhine, Volga and Danube Rivers.
- In January 2016, the Scenic Spirit was launched on the Mekong River, while the Scenic Aura took to the waters of the Irrawaddy River in September 2016.
- The Scenic Eclipse, a discovery yacht equipped with two onboard helicopters and a seven-seat submarine, will launch in August 2018.
Did you know?
- Scenic has two sister companies: Evergreen Tours and Emerald Waterways.
- The company is the recipient of many accolades. More recently, Scenic was awarded ‘Best Luxury River Cruise Brand’ in the Luxury Travel magazine’s 2017 Gold List Awards and ‘Best Luxury River Cruise Line’ and ‘Best River Cruise Line Overall’ in Readers’ Choice Awards for 2016.
- Passengers who repeatedly sail with Scenic can join the Scenic Club and take advantage of the special privileges and benefits that comes with this free membership. Depending on membership level (Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Emerald), guests can enjoy members-only offers on select itineraries, complimentary limousine transfers, complimentary accommodation, a ‘Thank you’ voucher and much more.
- At 65 metres long and carrying 44 passengers and 35 crew members, the Scenic Aura is the smallest ship in the fleet. This intimate vessel explores the Irrawaddy River on 10-night cruises.
- Upon its arrival, the 168-metre-long Scenic Eclipse will be the biggest ship in the fleet and will carry 228 passengers on ocean cruises (200 guests in polar regions). This vessel will set sail on its maiden voyage on 31 August, 2018 and its maiden season will include destinations in Europe, the Mediterranean, the Americas, Antarctica and the Arctic.
- If all the Scenic Space-Ships were cruising at the same time at full capacity, 2,334 passengers would be on the trip of a lifetime, accompanied by 926 crew members!
- Scenic upgraded all ships that sail along the Rhine, Danube and Moselle in 2017. As part of the upgrade, luxury suites were fitted with Scenic Sun-lounges, 32-inch Samsung HD TVs and free Wi-Fi access. Two new dining areas were also added, along with new artwork, carpet and furnishing.
To book a luxurious Scenic cruise or to make some enquiries, contact us on 1300 954 661 today. Our knowledgeable cruise consultants can find the perfect Scenic itinerary for you and help you with all your travel needs, including travel insurance, flights and accommodation.
Images courtesy of Scenic