Get to Know APT
Known for its all-inclusive voyages, attention to detail and intimate group sizes, APT has been a pioneer in the travel industry for over 85 years and has become a well-known name in cruising. Whether you’re exploring the Australian Outback, gliding down a scenic European river, or uncovering the wild beauty of Alaska, APT’s commitment to excellence will leave you with an unforgettable trip and beautiful memories. Below, we’ve put together a profile of this innovative travel brand.
- APT has been a family-owned company since its inception in the 1920s.
- The company came about as a result of a tram strike! Founder Bill McGeary converted his truck into a bus and helped transport stranded passengers. Over the years, he bought more buses and expanded his routes.
- By the 1970s, the company was providing day tours and themed weekend trips via coach.
- In 1991, the now renamed Australian Pacific Touring (APT) started offering international trips, with voyages to Canada and Alaska. With these trips, the company added travel by luxury train and cruise to its portfolio.
- In 2005, the company launched its Europe River Cruises.
Did you know?
- The APT Travel Group comprises a range of travel brands, including APT, Travelmarvel, Captain’s Choice, Botanica World Discoveries, Kimberley Wilderness Adventures and Antarctica Flights.
- APT offers travel via ocean cruising, river cruising, small ship cruising, bus, rail, 4WD and plane.
- The company also provides passengers with voyages to destinations right around the world, such as the Galapagos Islands, South America, India, Europe and Antarctica.
- APT has received numerous awards, including the National Travel Industry’s ‘Best River Cruise Operator’ for 2016, The Telegraph’s ‘Best River Cruise’ for 2015 and 2016, Cruise Passenger’s ‘Best Overall River Cruise Line’ for 2015 and Berlitz’s ‘Highest Rated River Cruise Ships in Europe’ for 2016.
- APT provides specialist Group travel (minimum 10 passengers) and allows passengers to tailor their journeys.
- The APT fleet includes a variety of ships designed for river cruising, ocean cruising and expedition travel.
- The fleet also includes four luxury mega-yachts, all of which are from the Ponant cruise family.
- The APT Club provides past travellers with an array of benefits, from a $100 welcome home voucher (to be used on your next trip with APT or that can be given to a loved one as a gift) and Lonely Planet guide, to complimentary airport transfers and a free night of pre- or post-trip accommodation. Member benefits vary depending on class (Silver, Gold or Platinum).
- APT’s Wine Series of cruises is set to continue in 2017 and is sure to appeal to vino lovers. On board these select cruises, passengers will be joined by Wine Ambassadors who represent Australia’s First Family of Wines (12 of the country’s leading winemakers). These special ambassadors will host wine-tasting sessions, lead excursions to wineries and inform guests about Europe’s wine heritage and traditions.
Have you been on a cruise with APT? If not, to discover what you’ve been missing out on. Cruiseabout can provide you with more information and help you find the perfect APT voyage.
Images courtesy of APT.